Comprehensive sleep study
To be able to treat your sleep disorders most accurately, our sleep doctors begin with thorough sleep studies and sleep tests. These include the night time sleep study and daytime nap study, as well as sleep tests for particular conditions including sleep apnea testing.
Once your sleep doctor has conducted a sleep test this information is processed and analyzed. If you are determined to have a sleep disorder, your team of sleep experts will work together to create a treatment plan customized for you. Treatments for sleep disorders are provided here at Silicon Valley Chest and Sleep Medicine, and we also provide access to home medical equipment, such as portable sleep apnea machines.
A polysomnogram measures:
- Brain Waves (EEG)
- Heart Rate (EKG)
- Eye Movement (EOG)
- Muscle Movements (EMG)
- Limb Movements (EMG)
- Breathing (Nasal/Oral)
- Breathing (Respiratory Effort)
- Blood Oxygen Levels (Sp02)
- Esophageal Pressure (PES)
To Prepare for Your Sleep Study
- Don't take a nap on the day of the test.
- Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea or cola) after breakfast.
- Wash and dry your hair, and do not apply hair sprays, oils or gels.
- Remove any nail polish from your index finger.
- You must bring bed clothes (preferably two-piece pajamas) to wear during your sleep tests.
- Bring something to read or to work on during non-sleep periods. You may bring a favorite video to view in your room prior to bedtime.
- Bring personal toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, brush, shampoo and hairdryer) and a change of clothes for the next day. The Sleep Clinic provides towels and bedding, and there are toilet and shower facilities available.
- Bring all of your medications. Please bring a list of medications you have taken during the past month.